Thursday, May 24, 2018

My Home and Native Land

When I hear what is happening in the states, I get so very, very sad.  As an American living in Canada, I watch, with disappointment and heartache, stories with a lack of judgment by the current president, stifling of freedoms by the NFL, young people being shot in schools, and a lack of respect for the life of immigrants and refugees.  There seems to be a new story every day, a new story that makes me feel ashamed of being a white American, and more and more reason to profess Canada as my home and native land.

I moved to Canada 21 years ago.  In a few years, I will have lived more years here than in the states.  Canada is not the perfect country.  It has its history of injustices and, white supremacy exists here too.  It's just more under the surface, not as blatant as it is in the states, which can make it more difficult to fight against.  Universal health care makes a big difference. We have fewer stories of people losing everything to fight for their health.  We have fewer people dying of preventable diseases.  Our gun control also helps keep the death count down, especially those of students who should be safe when they leave home for school. 

I love Canada and my life here.  I don't ever regret moving here, but whenever I cross the border to visit family, it does feel like going home.  Hanging out with other Americans, touring different states, and immersing myself occasionally in the American context, makes me realize how different the two countries are, although at first glance they seem to be very similar.  Sometimes it's as clear as different music or television programming, or the histories of the two countries.  Sometimes it's more subtle, for example, the extreme politeness of Canadians and the overuse of the word "sorry," and the extreme pride of Americans that brings them together but can also keep others out. 

I am often asked why I'm not a Canadian citizen yet.  I usually answer that it's not an easy process, it costs money, and that my only restriction as a permanent resident is voting.  I have also heard pros and cons of having a dual citizenship.  Mostly though, it's because of those moments when I'm with a group of Canadians and feel like an outsider or when I'm with a group of Americans and feel a sense of belonging.  I was born and raised in the U.S. of A., and, as much as I struggle to see the headlines lately, it's my home.  I still have hope in the people living there, that they will continue the struggle for human rights and justice for all, and, I do mean all, no matter the color or race or religion, no matter their gender identity or sexual preference, no matter where they were born, whether they've been to prison, their social or economic status, their age, their physical or mental abilities, or, which can sometimes be the most difficult, no matter their politics.

I hold the people of America in prayer as they live with this strong political divide, as they abuse one another, as they silence one another and refuse to listen to each other.  I pray that they wake up to the toll this is taking on the country.  I pray for the many other countries who are also struggling with these same issues, in different ways, including Canada.  May the Spirit permeate our hearts and minds and bring us wisdom and compassion, strength and courage, as we continue the historic and very human struggle for justice.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment